Message from General Secretary reagarding the Life Membership of Sri Lanka Library Association
1. According to the unanimously approved resolution to revive the SLLA Life Membership, at the 53rd SLLA AGM held 28th June 2013, the SLLA Council 2013/2014 appointed a committee to submit a suitable criterion for the life membership.
After studying similar criterion adopted by leading local professional associations and library associations of several other countries, the committee presented three criterion for the SLLA Life Membership.
2. This criterion was submitted to the general membership at an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) held on l2” October, 2013 for the consideration and approval. After a lively discussion the criterion was further improved and was unanimously adopted at the EGM. In order to expedite the process, the EGM minutes have been reconfirmed at the meeting itself (subject to present it to the next SLLA AGM) and the Council is delighted to commence the process of offering SLLA Life Membership to the members from now on.
3. While applying kindly select the criterion, which is most appropriate and easy to prove. The 2 and 3” criterion are simple and straightforward as the duration of the continuous membership (either 20 years or 10 years) is the decisive factor . The lst criterion was introduced, especially for the benefit of the senior SLLA members who joined the association prior to 1974, when it was Ceylon Library Association. Due to reasons beyond our control, it is some times difficult to find the details on the pre 1974 members, from the available documents in the SLLA office. Therefore we seek the cooperation from the senior members who apply for the 15t category to assist us by providing acceptable proof on your claim or apply under one of the other 2 categories, if one qualifies under it.
4. All the applications with the supporting documents and the membership fee (only for the 3rd category) should be submitted to the SLLA Administrative Secretary. The applications and the evidence will be scrutinized by the SLLA Office and the newly appointed SLLA ‘Life Membership Awarding Committee’ before submitting them for the approval of the Council. Please note that the SLLA Council retains the power of cancelling the life membership in the event of those who obtain it by providing inaccurate information.
5. Please find (I) SLLA Life Membership Application Form and (ii) the Criterion of SLLA Life Membership attached herewith. Kindly contact me or the Administrative Secretary, if further details or clarifications are required.
General Secretary SLLA